Child Protection Policy of Mount Temple Comprehensive School
The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Mount Temple has agreed the following child protection policy:
1. The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
2. The Acting Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Mr. Liam Wegimont
3. The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is Ms Helen Gormley
4. In its policies, practices and activities, Mount Temple will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will
• recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
• fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
• adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
• develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
• fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
5. The Board ensures that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of
each of the policies listed below.
Learning Policy – Code of Behaviour – Anti-bullying Charter – Critical Incident Policy – Safety Statement –
Mobile Phone Policy – Internet Usage Policy – Learning Policy – Sexual Harassment Policy – School trips /outing Policy – Procedures for detention, lates, absences & punctuality, suspensions, supervision etc.
6. This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents’ Association and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron if requested.
7. This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management in October 2011 and reviewed in June 2015
Signed: Canon Robert Deane Signed: Mr. Liam Wegimont
Chairman & Principal of Mount Temple Board of Management
Date: 24/11/2016 Date: 24/11/2016
Date of next review: Autumn 2017