Free ‘Fighting Words’Summer Camps
Important Information For All Camps – Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form on the website. We will NOT hold a place for your child without a form – you MUST book a place by returning the form. You can find the application form on the website
- You will receive an onscreen confirmation after submitting an application form successfully – NOT an email.
- Submitting a application form does not guarantee a place.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will not be considered.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp. Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- We will advise if your child has a place no later than Friday, June 17th.
- Location: All camps take place at Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1.
- Times: 10am to 3pm for the older age groups (11 – 13 years and 14 – 17 years) and 10am to 2pm for the younger age group (8 – 10 years).
- Camps will run for three or four days. See the schedule below for full details.
- We will provide all materials for each camp. The only thing your child will need to bring is a packed lunch.
- All camps are free of charge.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy, which will be distributed to parents prior to the start of each camp.
- All camps are run by experienced writers/artists.
- Our tutors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
- Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
July 4 – 7 (Monday – Thursday): Playwriting, 14-17 years Participants will work with experienced script writers and theatre practiioners to begin developing a script, devisng characters and exploring stagecraft.
July 11 – 14 (Monday – Thursday): Graphic Fiction, 11-13 years Participants will devise, write and illustrate a comic book with guidance and assistance from experienced artists. Think you can’t draw? We have tips and techniques to show you how!
July 19 – 21 (Tuesday – Thursday): Photography and Narrative, 8-10 years Participants will learn about taking brilliant photographs and then use the photos to illustrate their own stories.
July 25 – 28 (Monday – Thursday): Fiction Writing, 11-13 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers.
August 2 – 4 (Tuesday – Thursday): Playwriting and Puppetry, 8-10 years Participants will write a play, create characters, make puppets and put on a performance!
August 8 – 11 (Monday – Thursday): Cartoon Studies, 14-17 years Participants will work with a team of artists to create their own cartoon character and develop storylines. No drawing experience required.
August 15 – 18 (Monday – Thursday): Poetry and Performance, 14-17 years Participants will ahve the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing poetry with experienced writers, including song lyrics and spoken word.
August 22 – 25 (Monday – Thursday): Comedy Writing, 14-17 years Participants will have the opporutnity to write and perform their own stand-up comedy and comedy sketches.
Remember, you can only apply for a place by returning the registration form.
Applications form can be found on www.fightingwords.ie/